Monday, August 29, 2005

Touring NZ

Just finished touring New Zealand...It's a beautiful country!! Most of the land is green, mountainous, and full of volcanoes. There are loads of farms, sheep, and cattle here.
In Hahei, we dug a little pool next to the ocean where the water was really warm...our own little spa! I went abseiling in the caves in Waitomo, swimming in a hot river in Rotorua, and skydiving in Taupo! I have to say that throwing myself out of a plane at 12,000 feet was a bit scary, but I'm so glad I did it. It was wicked!! I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!! I even got a DVD for those who may not believe me....Sometimes I can hardly believe it myself. :-) I went for a 7 hour hike of the Tongariro Crossing. It was a bit difficult at times, especially the "Devil's Staircase", but the view from the top was absolutely gorgeous! When we got to the end of the trail, our driver had an esky full of beer waiting for us....probably one of the best tasting beers I've ever had! I spent a couple of days in Wellington. We went to the pub to watch the Tri-Nations Rugby match of NZ vs. S. Africa. NZ pulled out an amazing win in the end, and everyone went crazy.....Stayed out partying and dancing for most of the night!
Spent a couple of days in the Bay of Islands. I biked around the small town of Paihia and went for a 4.5 hour hike along the coast and through the NZ bush.
Auckland is a cool city, although I prefer Sydney...maybe a little "home" sick...It has a Harbour Bridge and a huge sky tower like Sydney, but not as good I reckon. Went to Speight's Ale House today and tried some of their Chocolate beer....very yummy! For the beer drinkers out there, good NZ beers include Steinlager, Tui, and Speights.
I've met heaps of really cool people during my travels. I toured NZ with Stray Travel....They are the best tour company by far! Really flexible with kick-ass drivers, and everyone I've met on the tours have been outgoing and friendly.
So, I'm headed home tomorrow....I am definitely excited to see everyone again, but I have to admit I'm not ready for this to end just yet....

No comments: