Sunday, May 02, 2010

Turkey




new photos are posted - http://dulceandkai.blogspot.com

We arrived in Istanbul and were immediately in awe of the modern conveniences that we used to take for granted - clean air, clean buses, clean-smelling people, and parks in the city (that are not inhabited by criminals or con-artists). We actually felt bad for the way we smelled...Our clothes never got properly washed in Africa, so everything we owned was still very dirty. We met Sara (the sister of a friend in Sydney) and went back to her apartment which is inside the old walls of Constantinople. The streets are narrow and winding and beautiful!
We visited lots of sights in the city...so much to see and do! We went to Taksim Sq, Istiklal Caddesi, Spice Bazaar, Grand Bazaar, Blue Mosque, Aya Sofya, Topkapi Palace, Basillica Cistern, and the Istanbul Archeological Museum. The bazaars were huge, much bigger than most markets we've been to. The Aya Sofya was amazing! It was built around 500 AD and was first used as a church, then converted into a mosque when the Ottoman Empire took over Contantinople in 1453. The dome was a great feat in architecture at the time because it was built without any columns to support it. A bit of trivia that I found interesting: The dome is so big that the Notre Dame or the Statue of Liberty could fit inside! The Basillica Cistern is an underground structure that was used as a water source for the city. It has 2 columns with the head of Medusa - one upside down and one sideways. Very cool. The Archaeological Museum had sarcophagi, friezes, sculptures, and ceramics. There was even a mummy on display! There was so much history and culture to take in.
We had a great time staying with Sara. She took us to a great place for a Turkish breakfast - lots of cheeses, bread, salad, and olives. She even cooked us a delicious dinner with salmon, mashed potatoes and salad. I couldn't remember the last time I've eaten so good! We also ate at some of the local restaurants. There were so many new things to try and so little time! I think since we didn't get a lot of good food in Africa, we went a little crazy here. :)

Off to Berlin now...We're going to have an apartment and a semi-real life for the next 4 weeks. :) I'm taking a German language course during that time, and I'm really hoping to learn a lot. Maybe I'll even be able to hold a real conversation! :)

No comments: