Monday, January 21, 2013

May-Sept 2012

The second half of last year was so busy; It really just flew by! In May, I ran another half marathon, and got a personal best – 1 hour and 42 min! We went to see Sydney Vivid – a display of lights at the Opera House and in The Rocks. It was really cold that night (I had on 4 layers of clothes!), but we did a lot of walking and drank some Gluhwein to warm up.

In June, we went to see the Nutcracker. It was the first time I had ever seen it. They have it on during the Australian winter, but it felt weird that it wasn't Christmastime as well. We went to see some Jazz bands play a couple of times in Surry Hills. I also went away to the Hunter Valley with my soccer mates for a weekend. Zoe was leaving to go back to the States, so we went away for a relaxing weekend of eating nice cheeses and chocolates and drinking some great wine.

I felt so great after my half marathon that I decided to sign up for the full marathon in September. I had only done a marathon once before in 2008. I ran it in 4 hours and 4 minutes, and I didn’t even train for it. This time I decided to really try my best, so I started a 4 month training program. Painful 5.30am mornings to run in the cold, but I was determined to stick with it.

July was a month of travel. Kai went to Germany for 2 weeks. As soon as he got back we went to Cairns together for a long weekend at Trinity Beach. And the very next week I went back to Florida for a visit. I was there for Deanna’s Housewarming and Adalyn’s First Birthday. A fun-filled 2 weeks with family and friends!

Martina, Kai and I did our annual City2Surf run in August. The weather in Bondi was a bit windy and cold after the race, but we had a great time. Because of all the running I had started doing for my marathon training, I decided to pick up yoga again. It was probably the best thing I could have done, and I don’t think I could have managed without it.

And the big news for the year…Kai and I got engaged! We started planning straight away and decided to go ahead and get married in 2012 instead of having a long engagement. We set the wedding date for 29/September, giving us only about 6 weeks to plan!

August and September were a bit of a blur. Between the usual stuff - work, dinners with friends and training - we had to find time to also plan our wedding and honeymoon. We decided to have a small, private wedding in Sydney and then travel around the world to see everyone.
My big marathon was a couple of weeks before the wedding. I felt great and really prepared. I ran it in 3 hours and 42 minutes - 3 minutes faster than my target time so I was so excited about that!
I had a fun girls' night at our soccer prom the following weekend, and then the weekend after that, it was The Big Day. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad to have you come for a visit. And so proud of you marathon run. I admire your dedication.

Love you - MOM