
Okay, if you weren't already envious of my trip, I just spent 2 weeks in the south of Thailand going to different beaches and islands so this blog entry should make you very jealous!
I went to Ko Pa Ngan first, an island off the southeast coast. I stayed in a nice little bungalow about 10 meters from the beach. The island is known for the crazy Full Moon party they have every month. I wasn't there for that one, but I did go to the Half Moon party with a group of Kiwi girls I met on the island. It was in the jungle...lots of people, music, alcohol, black lights, glow paint....fun times!!! I also went on a snorkelling trip, but most of my time was spent laying on the beach.
Then I took off for Phuket, on the southwest coast. I only spent a day there...It wasn't anything special. I stayed at the On On Hotel (where they filmed part of "The Beach"). I took the bus to Kata beach which was beautiful (about 20 minutes away from the city). There's not too much to do in Phuket...It's really just a jump off place for the islands.
The next day I took the ferry to the stunning Ko Phi Phi island, where most of "The Beach" was filmed. I went with 3 girls I met in Phuket the day before. We found the cutest little bungalows on the beach...It was paradise! I stayed there for 5 days, and I still didn't want to leave! Phi Phi is quite possibly the most beautiful place on the earth! I went on a great day trip to Phi Phi Ley island, Bamboo Island, and Monkey Bay (and yes, I did see some monkeys there!). We stopped at about 5 different snorkelling spots...It was so much better than Ko Pa Ngan! The visibility was amazing...got to see bright and colourful coral and fish...the water is crystal clear. Other than my snorkelling excursion, my days on the island consisted of reading and sleeping either on the beach or in my hammock on the porch of my beachside bungalow...I don't think it gets any better than that! My biggest concern was whether I had on enough suncreen. :-) I have never felt more relaxed and happy...I love the island life! After 5 days, I finally forced myself to leave and took the ferry to Krabi. I went rock climbing in nearby Railey. I went up 4 different climbs, about 25 meters high. It felt so great when I made it to the top each time...It was awesome!! Another day I went on a great kayaking trip through the mangroves and caves. On my last day in Krabi, there was a parade for the Vegetarian Festival. It's a big Chinese event in the area. The men and women all dress up, and the men cut themselves with knives, axes, spears, and barbed wire. I'm not exactly sure why, but I know it's for some religious belief....Looked extremely painful though!
I just got a great haircut in Bangkok...shampoo (with a scalp, neck, shoulder, and back massage), cut, and style all for the bargain price of 13 USD!
I'm off to India on Saturday to meet up with Dylan...I can't wait!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment