
Over the past month, I've been catching up with mates and enjoying the summertime activities in Sydney. The job hunting couldn't really begin until the 3rd week of January because almost everyone was on holidays until then. For the last two weeks, though, I've been very busy with job interviews. There is definitely a shortage of software developers in Sydney...I can understand why I was able to get the Permanent Residency visa! :-) This past week in particular has been quite eventful for me.
Last weekend, on Friday night I went to the outdoor cinema to see Thank You For Smoking. It's was at Circular Quay so you get a great view of the bridge and the Opera House in the background while you're watching the movie on this huge screen on the water...just gorgeous!!
Saturday, I had a nice picnic in Hyde Park with a couple of mates. There was a live, free symphony, and we drank wine, ate cheese and crackers, and listened to the beautiful music. On Sunday, we went to the one day cricket match between Australia and New Zealand at the Sydney Cricket Ground. Australia has been dominating the cricket in the tri-nations series (Australia, NZ, and England), and it was very exciting to see them win.
On Wednesday, I went to see the Muse perform for their individual concert. It was the best concert I've been to since The White Stripes with Paul. Thursday, I went with Carolyn, another friend I used to work with last year, to the Big Day Out concert. www.bigdayout.com It was so much fun! We got to see Lily Allen, The Killers, The Muse (again!), Jet, Eskimo Joe, and loads of other bands. It was sold out...About 60 bands and more than 50,000 people were there! It starts at 11am and lasts all day and all night. It was a crazy, drunken, fun time! The next day, the 26th of January, was Australia Day!! http://www.australiaday.gov.au/pages/index.asp It's not like Independence Day or anything. It's simply a day to celebrate how great it is to live in Australia and be Australian! Loads of people have their citizenship ceremony on this day. I met up with a few mates to have a picnic in the botanical gardens. There was heaps of activities going on in the city...live music, boat shows, airplane shows, a parade, and fireworks. That evening, my flatmates and I had a bbq at our apartment. It was such a beautiful, perfect day...I'm looking forward to many more Australia Days!
I also landed a job on Wednesday with a company that develops wireless and mobile applications. It's a smaller, technology firm with a great atmosphere. I'm really excited to be back in the workforce again, although I think working Monday-Friday, 9-5 is going to be a shock to my system. I start work this Monday, the 29th.
On the 27th, I went to take a look at a townhouse in Neutral Bay (North Sydney area). It's a really nice 2 bedroom place with a small yard. It's close to everything...even 2 dog parks for my Roxie! I'm moving in sometime this week...probably on Saturday, the 3rd of February. I'll finally be able to have my boxes with all of my clothes and things delivered to me this week. I'm so excited...especially since I've been limited to the same, tiny wardrobe for the past 6 months! :-)
I'm really starting to feel settled...finally!! I've started the paperwork to have Roxie come over so I should be able to have her with me in a couple of months. I even have my Australian Driver's License now...Although I'm not confident enough to actually drive by myself yet! I'll be sure to keep everyone posted and let you know how things are going.
==> A quick little note from this week...On Monday, my first day at work, my manager and a few co-workers went to the pub on the corner for lunch and a beer! How awesome is Australia?!! :-) This is just one example of the many differences in culture and attitude between Australia and The States.
1 comment:
yay! wow, how much is rent? must be expensive! are you gonna have a room-mate?
Post a Comment