Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Summer 2013 (Jan-March)


Kai's friends from Germany, Christiane and Torsten, came to visit us in January, and we had a great time showing them around. The rest of the summer was pretty busy and just flew by! Kai went to his first (and probably last) cricket match at the SCG. :) I enjoyed it though. We went to the Symphony in the Domain, the dog races (where we didn't win a thing) and the Sydney Aquarium. We also went stand up paddle boarding in Narrabeen on the north shore. It was the first time I'd done it, and I have to say I was pretty good at it. Must be all the yoga classes I'm taking. We went to the Open Air cinema at Bondi Beach to watch "The Impossible", the movie about the Boxing Day tsunami in Asia. Great movie!
Kai did his ocean swims again this year. I signed up for one, but then chickened out at the last minute. Well, in my defense, it was less than 70°F that day. I went on a trip with my soccer team to Forster for another soccer tournament. We spent the weekend playing soccer, laying at the beach and just being silly. It was so much fun!
We also decided to start looking for a house to buy so we spent a lot of Saturday mornings going to house inspections. It's a painful process to buy a house here in Australia and outrageously expensive, but we thought we'd try anyway. We were looking in the Bondi area, but didn't really find anything that we liked.
One of our good friends, Martina, turned 50 in March, and she had a big party in the Blue Mountains. We got there the night before to help setup. People started coming at around noon, and Martina was the last to go to bed, probably around 4am. I can't even remember the last time I was up that late!
The weekend after that, we left for our first trip this year. We went to the States for 2 weddings - my cousin, Alexis, was getting married in FL, and my friend, Stephanie, in North Carolina. We were only there for about 2 weeks, but we managed to do a little sightseeing too. We stayed with my mom in Georgia for a few days and went on a road trip from Atlanta to Memphis & Nashville - saw the Georgia Aquarium, Coca-Cola Factory, Graceland, Sun Studios, Gibson guitar shop and the Jack Daniels distillery. Then it was off to North Carolina for Steph's wedding.

No comments: