Friday, August 25, 2006

Egypt

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Arriving in Egypt was such a culture shock! Even though I really enjoyed the first part of my trip, I'm really excited for the rest because I think it will be completely different from anything I've ever done before. It will be challenging to travel in countries that are not as developed as the States or Western Europe....I'm looking forward to the adventure!
Overall, Egypt got a mixed review. The sights are amazing, and I met some very nice Egyptian people....but, most of the Egyptain men are absolutely obnoxious! I couldn't walk down the street without guys looking at me or making stupid comments. By far, the worst men of any country that I have visited.
That said, I really did have a great time...Here's the recap...
In Cairo, I saw the Saqqara (Step) Pyramid, the Great Pyramid of Giza, and the Sphinx. I also visited the Egyptain Museum where the treasure of King Tut's tomb are located and visited a mosque. In Aswan, I saw the Temple of Philae and took a 2 day/2 night ride on a felucca on the Nile. It's this really small boat with just a huge mattress that covered the whole thing. There were 9 other people with me, and we all fit comfortably. It was so nice just to relax for a couple of days! We sailed to Edfu where we saw the best preserved temple in Egypt. It was amazing! We took a bus to Luxor where we saw the Karnak Temple and Luxor Temple. It was 44 degrees (111.2 F) and not a cloud in the sky...scorching! I met a really nice Aussie (living in London) named Dylan on the tour in Luxor. We had about the same itinerary so we decided to travel together for the rest of Egypt. The next day in Luxor, we saw the Valley of the Kings, the Valley of the Queens, and the Temple of Hatshepsut. After getting back to Cairo, Dylan and I took a 5 hour bus ride (with no A/C...we were literally soaking with sweat!) to the middle of the desert. We stayed overnight with our Egyptian drivers under the stars....It was so beautiful!!! The next day we drove around the White Desert and the Black Desert before heading back to Cairo. The desert, pyramids and temples...They're all so gorgeous. It's hard for me to believe that I'm actually lucky enough to be here and see these amazing things!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dulce,

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like you have been seeing some amazing sites! Aren't you exhausted? Seems like you are going, going, going. Do you have much time to just relax? Guess when there is so much to see, there is little time to sleep as you wouldn't want to miss anything. Wish I was traveling with you.
Love, Aunt Dawn

Anonymous said...

Hey Dulc -

Keep the pictures coming. I can see how traveling can be so addictive. When are you due to arrive in Sydney? Looks like I'm gonna need to make a withdrawal from the First National Bank of the Florida Lottery in order to follow your lead. :)

-Kandice

Anonymous said...

Hi Dulce,

Thanks for sending the pictures. They were just great. Maybe you should become a photographer for National Geographic. Thanks again for the birthday call. Hope to talk to you soon.

Love ... Grandma